Comparison of foil and aluminum duct
Foil Flex Hose
"Spiral type multi-ply foil flexible duct"
In compressed state, only 3 1/4" inside dimensionPros:
- Easy to work with and install
- Very flexible
Provides a delta of .35 inches of water column pressure
- Much less efficient (a lot of interior friction)
- Not allowable by most dryer manufacturers
- Has been known to not contain a lint fire
"Semi-rigid flexible aluminum duct"
In compressed state, a full 4" inside dimensionPros:
- Maintains a full 4" diameter in compressed or bent configuration
- Smooth or smoother interior
- Very efficient and safe
- Specified by most manufacturers
- Insisted upon by numerous building codes
Provides a delta of .10 inches of water column pressurePopular Efficiency Value Chart for
- Harder to work with and install
- Does not have the ability to twist
Dryer Exhaust Terminations and Fittings
Purchase either here
If your dryer's transition hose is the white vinyl type, it is highly recommended that you replace it with either of the ones above. The white vinyl flex is so well known for contributing to fires that it actually is very hard to find in stores.